The next major release of the KDE plasma 5.19 beta extensions is now available for download and testing.
A brilliant and completely new desktop environment KDE Plasma prepares the next version 5.19 with more stability, fixes and user settings.
You should already know that KDE plasma is undoubtedly one of the most configurable Linux desktop environments. You can customize your KDE Plasma Desktop – with internal configuration settings, themes, and so on. There is no need to install a number of extensions or modify tools in KDE plasma, as is the case with the GNOME Desktop.
Some time ago, KDE Plasma 5.18 was released, and now the KDE project has announced that a beta version of Plasma 5.19 is available for testing.
Let’s see what happens in this new version.
KDE plasma 5.19 Beta – What’s new
The list of changes and corrections is very long. I have highlighted the most important changes, both visually and in terms of basic updates. You can view a detailed list in the changes log at any time.
Office Widgets and Appearance
- The system monitoring widgets have been rewritten from scratch and are now visually more attractive in their functionality.
- The plasma now has a uniform design and header in the system tray applications and reporting.
- The new series of photographic avatars is waiting for you!
- Sticky notes improve usability.
- GTK 3 applications immediately apply the newly selected color scheme, and GTK 2 applications no longer have broken colors.
- The standard total size of the fixed-width font on the desktop has been increased from 9 to 10.
- There are currently 48px versions of the Breeze Theme Plot icons, which means that when using the 48px format, folders are now displayed up to the nearest pixel in Dolphin.
- Dolphin offers a new option to move or copy quickly selected files in a window in a split view to a folder in another window. What? Although this is a very important subject.
Dolphin with upgrades
- You can now assign colors to the console nodes. It’s comfortable.
Color Console Tab
- Plasma shops can now use GoCryptFS as an encryption backend.
- With the Eye Document Viewer you can now zoom to over 1600%.
- The internal links in the Markdown documents have been improved in Okular.
- Used flatpack repositories are now easier to remove in Discover.
- KSysGuard now displays information for systems with more than 12 processor cores.
- KMail and other Kontact applications can now reconnect to Google’s services, as Google has finally been re-approved.
- Running the executable script from Dolphin and other applications works again.
- Fully run the application using the system settings on the page you requested when starting KRunner.
- The Display Options page now displays the aspect ratios for each available screen resolution.
- The speed of plasma animation is now better controlled.
- You can now disable the indexing of hidden files and the setting of individual folders.
- For information about graphics equipment, please contact the call center.
- Some updates on Wayland:
- New option to control the speed of the mouse and touch screen
- A new underground cut-off reduces flicker
- Screen rotation now also works for tablets and convertible laptops.
- Applications ending with .desktop files (such as Telegram) now show their icons on Wayland.
This impressive list is really being updated. If you want to try this beta version, click on the download links below.
Since this is a beta version, you should be careful when using KDE plasma on your production system. Errors may occur during testing. To try it, download Kde Neon Unstable from the following link
About the developer blog, the KDE announcement. The best credit: KDE
For the latest tutorials, application reviews and instructions, follow the troubleshooting on Twitter and Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Log on to our telegraph channel and stay informed.